This ladies’ meeting started in 1909 and took the form of a Bible class. The women sat round in a semi-circle. After the singing of a few hymns chosen by the women there was prayer and a scripture reading. It was Mrs Burnage’s habit to pray for each woman by name. No women’s meeting was complete without a cup of tea and cake. In 1938 the Women’s Meeting at WBC joined up with the one at Silver Hill.
Great changes came with WWII including social afternoons, garden meetings in the summer, New Year socials and in January 1942 the meetings started to be held at WBC. To find a speaker it sometimes proved necessary to approach 2-3 people and every member was given their allotted task to make the day run smoothly.
At the AGM in 1977 the then Secretary, Mrs Molly Cooper reported “Week by week the meeting had been well-served by visiting speakers of all denominations bringing a message from the Lord. This, of course, is the purpose of the meeting – to learn more of Him and share fellowship with one another”.
And this remains the case today: the meeting starts at 2pm with refreshments and fellowship. A few songs and hymns are sung, an examination of a word from the Bible is shared, a collection taken and the speaker of the day is then asked to bring their message. The meeting closes with a final hymn and a prayer. It is open to all women and meets fortnightly in the Tweedley Room. It is such a blessing to all who go, with each caring and supporting the other – a true small group!
The next programme dates will be released shortly!